“When wireless is perfectly applied, the whole Earth will be converted into huge brain, which in fact it is, all things being particles of a real and rhythmic whole [ . . . ] and the instruments through which we shall be able to do this will be amazingly simple compared with our present telephone. A man will be able to carry one in his vest pocket.”
Since the advent of internet, many have dreamed about connecting various electronic devices, gathering data and making decisions in real-time to achieve dramatic results. Internet of Things (IoT) is the manifestation of this dream. From basic Home Security to Plant monitoring, IoT is enabling development of disruptive solutions.
While there are different architecture proposed for Internet of Things, we consider the five layer architecture model for IOT.
01. Data Sensors
02. Data Gateway
03. Data Sink
04. Data Analyser
05. Processed Data Viewer
Few Basic examples of IoT Applications
• Tracking of conditions of the City Roads, Metro Train tracks, Drainage Systems, etc.
• Traffic management in real-time
• Tracking of power, gas & water distribution failures
• CCTV monitoring for suspicious activities
• Remote monitoring of health vitals of the patients
• Tracking of room temperature, smell and oxygen levels in hospitals
• Tracking movements of eldering patients with short-term memory loss
• Providing additional guidance via remote tracking to disabled patients
• Tracking of domestic animals via RFID tags
• Monitoring of crops for various infections
• Monitoring of the water levels within the fields
• Crop logistics - Tracking of vehicle movement
Heartbeat track for Patients with Heart Problems
We did a proof of concept app that allows doctors to track the heartbeat of the patients with heart problems. The doctors can get alerts if the heartbeat of the patients doesn't stay within the normal range. We are using Azure IOT toolkit as a Data Sink and Data Analyser.